Post Messenger Recorder -

Post Messenger Recorder PMR New Glarus Monticello Belleville News Publishing

The Naming of Lake Belle-View

 

April 2, 2020

Lee Hare Trummer and Rosemary Hare by the sign that had been posted by Lake Belle-View prior to the park restoration.

In 1957, the Village of Belleville ran a contest to name the lake surrounding Community Park.

When Rosemary Hare read about the contest, she decided to submit, "Lake Belle-View" meaning 'beautiful view', using her daughter Lee's name.

At the time, Rosemary, her husband, Ozzie, and their daughter, Lee, lived on Church Street. Prior to that the family had lived with Rosemary's dad, Ernie, and her sister and her son in the apartment above Ernie's Tavern, which they owned and eventually sold to Jim and Marlene Sarbacker (J&M's) in 1963. Rosemary recalled that her parents had bought the bar fr...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020

Rendered 10/18/2020 03:16