Post Messenger Recorder -

Post Messenger Recorder PMR New Glarus Monticello Belleville News Publishing

The Old Lead Road Monument Restoration

 

January 21, 2021

Photo courtesy of Steve Hodgson

Pictured at the monument are Post #141 Legion members, from left, Josh Rabel, Commander Tim Schmitt, Vice Commander Steve Hodgson, Russell Elingson and Ken Johnson.

In 1920, Walter Stuessy, Commander of the Stuessy-Kuenzi Post #141 of the American Legion in New Glarus, erected the "Old Lead Road" monument about a mile south of New Glarus on a rustic road that we know today as County Road NN. In 1934, this area became known as the New Glarus Woods State Park.

The monument sits at the entrance to the state park. About a year ago, the monument was in dire need of some restoration, as the base was deteriorating and the granite was beginning to lean and eventually fall over. The Legion contacted the Wisconsin DNR to find out what it would take to repair...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020

Rendered 02/28/2021 15:47